Yet another super simple recipe and one that my mum used to prepare on a weekly basis when I was young. Many of our staple dishes when I was young were made from very simple ingredients, both due to lack of availability and lack of budget.
The great news though is that these dishes are tasty, nutritious and super easy to make. Although this is in essence a stew we would have lentils at any time of the year winter or summer. Of course traditionally in Spain it would be cooked with some form of meat such as chorizo but our version is vegan.
This is perfect food for families on a budget and I cooked this dish for four of us for under five euros. Lentils should be a staple in every vegan’s kitchen cupboards, they are full of nutrients, easy to use and cheap. So let’s see how easy it is to make my Spanish vegan lentil stew.
Simple Spanish Vegan Lentil Stew
A super easy vegan lentil stew just like my mum used to make!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- I large onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 green bell pepper finely chopped
- 1 large carrot finely chopped
- 1 small courgette finely chopped
- 1 leak finely chopped
- 1 small tin peeled tomatoes (or 2 large tomatoes finely chopped)
- 3 or 4 small to medium potatoes cut in to small cubes
- Approx 300 grams dried lentils (rinsed)
- 1.5 teaspoons paprika
- Handful of sundried tomatoes
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons tamari or soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- Approx 3/4 litre water (or vegetable stock)
- Step 1 Heat the oil in a large pan over a medium heat and add the onions and garlic and cook until softening, about 2-3 minutes.
- Step 2 Add the pepper and leak and cook for a further 2 -3 minutes.
- Step 3 Lower the heat slightly and add the paprika, tamari, cumin, bay leaf and half the tin of tomatoes and cook for a further 4-5 minutes making sure that it doesn’t burn.
- Step 4 Add the remaining tomatoes, the carrot, courgette and sundried tomatoes and cook for a further 2-3 minutes.
- Step 5 Add approx half the water and increase the temperature to medium high and add the lentils and potatoes and stir in. Add the remaining water. You can add more or less depending on the consitncy that you perefer.
- Step 6 Bring to the boil and then reduce the heat to low and simmer for approx 25- 30 minutes, serve and enjoy.
Tips and Options for your Spanish Vegan Lentil Stew.
I always use Pardina lentils, they are slightly smaller than other lentils and hold their shape well when cooked and also have a slightly nutty flavour. However there are lots of different lentils that you can use for this recipe, just make sure you adjust the cook time accordingly depending on the type you decided to use.
Don’t forget if you are using dried lentils to always rinse them before use with cold water and remove any stones or debris that you find. Instead of water you can use a vegetable stock and I usually have a home-made one available. In this recipe I used courgettes and leaks as they were in season and I had them spare. They are not necessary and you can add additional carrots if you perefer.
As always I encourage you to experiment and use ingredients that are available, the beauty is in the simplicity and flexibility of the dish. As always have fun and enjoy, and let us know if you have made a vegan Spanish lentil stew of your own of your own.